Title: Senior Developer
Location: UK Remote Working
Contract: 6 month FTC with the possibility to extend
Here at Avado, we believe in unlocking potential and changing lives. We are a professional academy that helps people and companies transform and grow through interactive learning experiences in data, finance, people, technology and marketing. Our connected learning approach combines deep expertise, collaborative learning, scalable technology and award-winning learning design to deliver learner experiences for people who want real change.
Who we need
We are looking for someone to help to create efficiencies within our learning platform, adopting best practices, to provide an amazing experience to our Learners. You'll be working within a modern RESTfull API system. As a Senior Developer, you'll thrive on providing technical excellence in your own work and in guiding others around you, You'll revel in solving problems and getting stuck in. You'll be an analytical, self-motivated, and highly productive team player who likes to take a structured and logical approach to your work. Whilst demonstrating strong leadership and displaying great decision-making skills you'll be good-humored and keen to collaborate across a fun and friendly team.
What you'll do
- Will be responsible for the delivery & quality of the software development life cycle of the existing platform
- Ensuring team best practice guidelines are maintained across the team
- Promoting best practice and sensible software design and development to ensure we have a scalable & stable application
- Leadership & coaching of the development (ALP) team
- Ensuring that the team are appropriately updating the status of their projects on JIRA, to the scrum master, project co-ordinator and relevant business stakeholders (if the developer is a "technical owner")
- Ensure that all team members are able to add/update their ticket to the Jira board, keeping PR review on time.
- Ensuring timely weekly deployments and ensuring relevant checks are made before pushing to production
- Evangelising and fostering strong communication within the team
- Take the lead on incident resolution and "promote ownership" of problems within the team
- Taking ownership of Avado learning platform
- Leading from the front and working as a technical contributor with the team, delivering functionality to the platform
What we’re looking for
- You know how to build high quality, scalable and secure applications using PHP, HTML, SQL, Symfony, Laravel, React and CSS
- You have strong knowledge of object oriented programming techniques, best practice guidelines (PSRs, OWASP) and S.O.L.I.D. principles
- You have worked with at least one PHP framework and have demonstrable experience i.e. Symfony or Laravel
- Experience of building secure RESTful APIs is also a positive
- 2+ years as a Senior
Nice to haves
- Working knowledge of cloud/infrastructure technologies and a practical ability to diagnose and resolve infrastructure-based problems
And… just for being here, we offer you a culture that’s created and nurtured by super smart people and underpinned by our Values. Our Values of Accountability, Ambition, Care, Empowerment and Transparency were created for our people, by our people; they guide our thinking, decisions and actions, creating a truly unique place to work. You will also get a chance to be at the forefront of digital transformation and professional growth, enviable workspaces, serious personal development opportunity and a few nice job-related and lifestyle perks.
What you’ll get:
- The freedom to work fully flexibly and remote in the UK
- A home in our growing, ambitious team, whose sharp focus is growing the future skills of the workplace;
- The opportunity to truly own and be responsible for making great things happen, making a real difference and working with some of the world’s leading brands;
- A fast and furious, exciting place to be with real challenge and a meaningful opportunity
You'll also get lots of benefits including:
- Holidays – 25 days plus bank public holidays, increasing by 1 day after 2 years and a further day after 4 years.
- A day off on or around your birthday, and a birthday gift of your choice.
- Discounts at 250+ retailers.
- Free coffee from Caffe Nero or a pastry from Greggs, weekly, as well as a free film to stream and heavily discounted cinema tickets.
- Cycle2Work scheme, even if work is predominantly at home!
- Statutory pension and life assurance.
- Great work life balance through flexi working/remote working.
- Various opportunities to gain an immersive experience into the broad range of Avado products and proposition.
- Virtual mindfulness activities on Mondays and Friday.
- Periodic access to a professional business / executive coach
- Curated personal development and learning tools, courtesy of Magpie (powered by Perkbox).
- Periodic opportunities to coach 16–18-year-olds from under-privileged schools in London, because of our partnership with Future Frontiers.
- Periodic opportunities to mentor learners on our FastFutures programme.
- Access to a virtual GP (Perkbox Medical), powered by DoctorCare Anywhere
And we’re highly inclusive….
Avado is one of those rare places where anyone from anywhere with any background or experience is free to come and do their very best work. We believe in the diversity of thought, as that’s what helps us help our customers and learners – whether investing in their own development, or having their employer invest for them. Equality, diversity and inclusion are values that are critical to our success; come and see for yourself.