Title: Director of Apprenticeship Quality & Curriculum
Location: Hybrid working with occasional travel to west London office
Our Purpose is ‘Unlocking potential and changing lives’. We’re a professional academy that helps people and companies transform and grow through interactive learning experiences in people, data, marketing and agility. Our connected learning approach combines deep subject matter expertise, collaborative learning, scalable technology and award-winning learning design to deliver learning experiences for people who want real change.
Who we need:
Vince, our relatively new MD – Apprenticeships, is looking for an exceptional, human-centric Director of Learning Quality & Curriculum to spearhead Avado’s next generation of developing and assessing the delivery of remarkably high-quality apprenticeship programmes. As a seasoned quality professional, you’ll do the absolute right thing for our learners and clients, whilst meeting all the necessary and business-critical external standards we’re accountable for (either to ESFA or Ofsted), is key to this role; the person doing this will be bright, flexible, adaptable, engaging and have a keen eye for quality.
What you’ll do:
- Taking accountability for building on and leading our Quality & Curriculum team, which is full of dedicated, passionate expert quality assurers.
- Working hand-in-hand with our Learning Delivery team to make sure all the relevant observations, monitoring and sampling activities are carried out, offering meaningful feedback to them to drive the overall improvement of their collective and individual performance.
- Acting as our Ofsted Nominee, making sure we’re ready for that all-important Ofsted inspection call, and taking a lead role during the inspection alongside our Delivery Leadership team
- Owning our relationships with external awarding bodies and End Point Assessment organisations.
- Taking overall accountability for our Safeguarding and Prevent activities and monitoring.
- Being the absolute champion of quality across our business, ensuring that we deliver on our Purpose and truly appreciate our Values.
- Working closely with our clients, ensuring our curricula are:
- Tailored for their needs;
- Able to deliver contextualised, outstanding learning experiences;
- Able to deliver against the agreed learning outcomes for their people.
- Working as a coach, mentor, inspiring leader and manager to deliver the experiences our Quality & Curriculum and all other Avado people want, need and expect of our leaders.
What you’ll bring:
- Ideally you’ll come from an independent training provider (or similar) or from a further education background
- Extensive experience of qualifications, apprenticeship standards and IQA processes.
- Strong background in delivering high quality learning programmes.
- Experience in having run quality teams and, ideally, learning delivery teams, with the ability to understand and work across different functions of the business.
- Proven people management and leadership capabilities and experience in building high performing, engaged and human-centric teams.
- Experience of leading external audits; essentially, you would have managed an Ofsted inspection previously (with a successful outcome of Grade 2 or above).
- Have previously been an Ofsted nominee
- Experience in embedding effective Functional Skills tuition into Curriculum and the quality assurance process.
- Experience in embedding effective Special Education Needs and Disability diagnosis and support.
- An organised, logical, data-driven approach- you will enjoy running an efficient ‘system’.
- A collaborative approach and ability to work cross functionally
- Exceptional stakeholder management, able to forge remarkable relationships with our external awarding bodies and assessment organisations.
What you’ll get:
- A unique opportunity to contribute to the development and strengthening of Avado’s position in a professional learning industry estimated at over £30bn in the UK.
- Full autonomy within remit of role and in a business leadership capacity.
- An opportunity to operate in a test and learn environment
- An opportunity to be part of a business that has a positive social impact, giving people the opportunity to learn new skills at a time when many will be struggling to progress or find work.
Our benefits include:
- Holidays – 25 days plus bank public holidays, increasing by 1 day after 2 years and a further day after 4 years.
- A day off on or around your birthday, and a birthday gift of your choice.
- Discounts at 250+ retailers.
- Free coffee from Caffe Nero or a pastry from Greggs, weekly, as well as a free film to stream and heavily discounted cinema tickets.
- Cycle2Work scheme, even if work is predominantly at home!
- Statutory pension and life assurance.
- Great work life balance through flexi working/remote working.
- Various opportunities to gain an immersive experience into the broad range of Avado products
- Virtual mindfulness activities on Mondays and Friday.
- On-demand access to a dedicated professional business / executive coach, enabling you to spend time thinking through and planning your personal growth and development, or troubleshoot a problem you’re working to solve.
- Curated personal development and learning tools, courtesy of Magpie (powered by Perkbox).
- Periodic opportunities to coach 16–18-year-olds from under-privileged schools in London, because of our partnership with Future Frontiers.
- Periodic opportunities to mentor leaners on our very own FastFutures programme.
- Access to a virtual GP, through Perkbox Medical, powered by DoctorCare Anywhere.
And… just for being here, we offer you a part to play in contributing to our culture that’s been created and nurtured by our super smart people and underpinned by our Values. Our Values of Accountability, Ambition, Care, Empowerment and Transparency were created for our people, by our people; they guide our thinking, decisions and actions, creating a truly unique place to work. Our Values are a ‘north star’ for performance, the way we live them cannot be replicated.
And we’re highly inclusive:
Avado is one of those rare places where anyone from anywhere with any background or experience is free to come and do their very best work. We believe in the diversity of thought, as that’s what helps us help our customers and learners – whether investing in their own development, or having their employer invest for them. We’re constantly looking for more ways to create a real sense of belonging for anyone joining our team, we believe in community spirit, and we work with our people on all the things the business can do to help this community thrive.